Green Lab Certification Sustainability Co-Op/Engineer - Fall 2020
- Opportunity Profile:
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, we are a team dedicated to discovering, developing and delivering innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases. Our commitment is to foster a globally diverse and inclusive workforce with a high-performing culture that is agile, entrepreneurial and accountable. This enables our business strategy while encouraging excellence, growth, achievement, innovation and a balance between our personal and professional lives.
By combining the reach and resources of a global pharmaceutical company with the can-do spirit and agility of a biotechnology company, we are becoming a leader for the future – a next-generation BioPharma leader.
Current Six-Month Co-op Opportunity
Facilities Operations (Lawrenceville, NJ) Also, some limited travel will be required between our site New Brunswick, NJ
To achieve this goal, this project will involve diverse engineering assignments:
First, Green Lab Program Management: (Enhance existing program) 30%
- Becoming familiar with the Green lab Program and BMS Sustainability Goals.
- Compile data from an on line survey tool, review the info & data for quality and completeness and issues.
- Draft certification score to be approved by team.
- Collect best practices, questions and issues. Research solutions to issues and vet with team.
- Respond to questions in person or on email/phone.
- Track metrics and create dashboard on program outcomes.
- Identify communication opportunities, draft communications and review with team.
- Conduct monthly Steering Committee meetings outlining program progress
Second, Engineering Analysis of facilities operational improvements both within large capital projects and day to day operations: 30%
- Assist in investigating leading edge technology opportunities for increased reliability and energy/water efficiency and determine feasibility.
- Initiate small improvement projects and assist with implementation as time allows.
- Assist operations team in solving technical infrastructure problems.
Third, Join Large Project Team: 30%
- Participate on large construction project in Lawrenceville; 260,000 sq. ft. laboratory by attending various project meetings
- Attend weekly design and construction management meetings and handle Project Manager Assignments.
Education and Training: 10%
- Develop training materials for department meetings or lunch and learns.
- Create Sustainability and energy messaging and implement through existing means, (digital signage, etc.).
Enrolled in Bachelor’s degree program in either the Sciences or Engineering and at minimum, successful completion of first year. Desired backgrounds/degrees include:
- Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Studies
- Natural Sciences (Chemistry or Biology)
Become familiar with laboratory operations and a with a corporate sustainability program.
Learn complex operations of a large multi-building R&D complex.
Solve technical problems.
Feasibility analyses of new technology and operational changes for Facility.
Apply engineering or science knowledge to a corporate operation.
Develop communication skills through effective interaction with internal stakeholders.
Key Deliverables at Project Completion:
- At end of the co-op assignment it will be required for the student to create a presentation reflecting their learning’s and recommendations for improvement.
Participation on Corporate Green Ambassador team; create and distribute learnings, participate in site based events- Earth Day, America Recycles, Energy Fairs, etc